In April 2014, “SWASTYAYAN... a commitment” project ventured into the noble task of offering a short-term “Computer Education Programme” for the Class X students of the community schools of the Azara locality. This five-week programme (21 April to 27 May 2014) was initiated to enhance the capability of the youth of these schools in basic computing skills - word processing, spreadsheet calculation and tabulation, presentation, and internet browsing. Besides this elementary knowledge, the students were given hands-on training for developing their basic communication skills using computers. The Computer Education Programme was initiated to cater to a felt need and requests coming from the neighborhood children themselves.
In line with this, on 28th April, 2016, the Department of Computer Science Engineering & Information Technology, School of Technology, Assam Don Bosco University conducted a Workshop cum Training Program on Computer Literacy for the students of Jalukbari Higher Secondary School, Guwahati.
A two day Training programme on Computer Skills was organized by the department of Computer Science Engineering & Information Technology on 24th and 25th November 2016. It was an initiative by the Women Empowerment Cell, "VanitAgrata'' of the Department of Computer Science Engineering & Information Technology. VanitAgrata aims at empowering women with the knowledge and skills required to be competent in the workplace.
On 19th September 2019, the Computer Education Center that has being setup by the Department of Social Work, Assam Don Bosco University, India in the Bosco Community Resource Center (B-CRC) within the premise of Assam Don Bosco University, India in collaboration with the University College Dublin Volunteers, Overseas, Ireland aims at creating and providing a platform and environment where community children and members can get access to E-education. The center especially targets the students of Government Schools of Sonapur, Assam, India; and envisages bridging the gap between theory and opportunity for practice on real computers (digital divide) of the government school children that teach computer lessons to students without computers. The students thus while attending theory computer classes in schools will get opportunity for practice with computers in the E-Learning Center at ADBU.
The objectives of the Centre are as follows:
- The project envisages bridging the gap between theory and practice of computer education in government schools of Sonapur, Assam, India by creating an E-Learning Center where the students can come and practice under a guide/teacher/volunteer who is an expert in computer education.
- To create and provide scope for volunteers – Indian and International to engage in imparting computer and computer- based education to students, local youth and women throughout the year.
- To provide adult computer literacy education to the community members.
- To create and provide space for community members for accessing online based services – banking, cooking gas, admission applications etc.
- To contribute towards Affordable and Clean Energy (SDG 7) and Climate Action (SDG 13) by installing a solar panel/power system to power the E-Learning Center in future.
Since inauguration, three batches of computer classes was conducted,
- Batch 1 – 17 registered
- Batch 2 - 22 registered
- Batch 3 - 17 registered
The project is rooted in the observation and experience of student volunteers of the International Student Volunteer Exchange Programme (2014 till date) that the two Institutions have been implementing and the ‘felt need’ expressed by the community members for the same.