The Department of Computer Applications at the Don Bosco College of Engineering and Technology was formed in the year 2008 with an aim to make contributions toward student community in particular and society as a whole by providing a stimulating research environment complemented by quality teaching.
The department embodying the University’s tradition has a cohesive team of dynamic, dedicated and qualified faculty members and staff. Besides teaching, the faculty members undertake a number of research projects sponsored by various funding agencies and produce regular publications in the areas of Data Mining, Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, High Performance Computing, Computer Vision, Speech Processing, Network Security etc. Faculty members and students of the department are also working with experts from various national and international research organisations. The students are also availing internships and project guidance under such experts.
The department strives to enable students to acquire knowledge and skills in subjects of Computer Science, to enrich their personal, cognitive, social development, and to equip them for a challenging future. Students have also implemented innovative ideas and presented technical papers at national-level symposiums and conferences and brought laurels. Graduates from the department are equipped to qualify national level exams (e.g. GATE, CAT, NET) and some are already employed in prestigious institutions and organisations. The department also promotes innovations and entrepreneurship in close co-ordination with the Entrepreneurship Development and Incubation Centre. The Software Engineering Design centre equipped with IBM Software Design tools is another facility available in the department.
The curriculum has been designed keeping in mind the industrial and research needs. Induction of new courses from time to time enables students to keep abreast of latest technological developments. Flexibility in curriculum is provided through electives, seminars, and projects. In addition to these, online courses in engineering under the National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) has also been implemented in the department.
The department is also actively involved in organizing national and international level workshops, seminars, training programmes and conferences for the benefit of students, researchers and faculty members. Invited eminent experts from academia and industries create further opportunities to share knowledge and work on collaborative projects. The department strives to emulate an academic culture that is on par with the best institutions.
Creating an intense teaching and research environment that moulds individuals into competent professionals who are innovative and committed to meet real world challenges.
- To produce competent Computer Science professionals by promoting excellence in education and training.
- To inculcate the spirit of self-sustainability through research, consultancy, development activities and lifelong learning.
- To extend technical expertise to meet real world challenges and play a leading role in technical innovation, creativity and application development.
- To infuse a sense of commitment in individuals for the betterment of the society through technology.
Program Educational Objectives
- To prepare the students to have strong foundation in computer science engineering with impetus to higher studies, consultancy, research and development.
- To prepare the students to be self sustainable and proficient to meet the real world challenges ethically and responsibly, in service to socio-economic development of the society.
- To inculcate the spirit of life-long learning, understanding, and applying new ideas and technologies to provide novel engineering solutions in the rapidly changing environment.
Degrees offeredThe Department currently offers the following degrees:
- Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA)
- Master of Computer Application (MCA)
- Ph.D. in Computer Applications
Some of the facilities provided to students to make them Industry-ready:
- Guidance for Great Mind project Challenges organized by IBM (2 teams shortlist for final round,2013)
- Regular series of Technical workshops using Spoken tutorials conducted by IIT Bombay
- Workshops on Software Development tools (IBM Rational Tools)
- Workshop on Aakash Android Application development conducted by IIT Bombay
- Development of Android Application using the Aakash tablets(available 240 tablets for the department)
- ISTE Workshop on Python conducted by IIT Bombay
- Workshop on Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) conducted by RED HAT
- Regular Talks and discussion with invited Industry experts
- Industrial Training(summer and winter) programs
- Guidance for Live Industrial projects
- Regular job related training and placements activities etc
Infrastructure (List of labs)
- Computer Programming Lab1 (65 PCs with Server)
- Computer Programming Lab 2 (65 PCs with Server)
- MCA-Computer programming Lab 1 (60 PCs with Server) - partly under MODROBS Project
- MCA-Computer programming Lab 2 (45 PCs with Server)
- Artificial Intelligence Lab (60 PCs with Server)
- Networks and Data Communication Lab (with Network Simulator, LAN Trainer kits)
- Micro Controller Lab (with kits)
- Research Lab (PG and Graduates), Cabins for Ph.D scholars
ProjectsThe Department has undertaken a few research projects funded by Government agencies:
- AICTE MODROBS Project- “Enhancement of Teaching aids to faculty and improvement of computer lab for MCA students” completed in 2011
- Ongoing AICTE sponsored RPS "A Local Audio System for In-house Object Detection"