The Department of Civil Engineering, one of the youngest members of the Don Bosco College of Engineering and Technology, was established in the year 2011 with an aim to provide state of the art education to the students through quality teaching guided by innovative research and consultancy as well as societal needs towards sustainable development. The first batch of graduate course in civil engineering started with fifty six students. Since then the number of students joining the department has increased considerably.
The department with a strong team of well qualified and diversely specialized faculty members and staff are constantly involved in building a strong conceptual foundation and promoting innovative and original thinking among students to help them face the future challenges and develop an educational environment that is conducive for them to reach their full potential.
The department promotes entrepreneurship in close coordination with the Entrepreneurship Development and Incubation centre. Also various industrial visits, field trips and survey camps are organized to help students sharpen their theoretical and practical knowledge and enabling them to be abreast of latest technological developments. In addition to this the students undergo internship under the guidance of experts from various reputed organizations.
The department is also involved in organizing various seminars, symposiums, workshops, training programs for the benefit of students. Numerous faculty development programs like ISTE workshops on various aspects of Civil Engineering are also conducted.
The curriculum is designed in such a way that timely induction of new courses help students to handle any competitive exams like GATE, IES, PSUs etc and also take up further research and industrial work. This flexibility in curriculum is further enhanced through different research oriented projects assigned to students by the faculty members. Online courses in engineering under the National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) and QEEE (Quality Enhancement in Engineering Education) courses conducted by different IITs have also been taken up by the department to help emulate an academic culture of the highest order.
To be a recognized leader in Civil Engineering education and learning experiences providing state of the art education guided by innovative research and consultancy, inclusive technology and managerial skills for industry as well as societal needs towards sustainable development.
- To make the department a centre of excellence in Civil Engineering education which equips students with a strong conceptual foundation coupled with practical insight to meet the global industrial and environmental challenges
- To produce spiritually inspired, socially committed and intellectually competent professionals of high calibre and strong ethical principles to serve the society and nation through team work and societal leadership.
- To establish the department as a recognized centre of research for developing sustainable solutions to engineering problems by providing knowledge base and consultancy services to the community.
Program Educational Objectives
- To equip the students with necessary technical skills and professional expertise that make them competent for immediate employment or to pursue postgraduate studies in Civil Engineering disciplines.
- To produce graduates who are spiritually motivated for life-long learning and morally committed for successful careers as civil engineers, managers, administrators, educators, engineering consultants and entrepreneurs.
- To enhance students’ abilities to identify and take up project and research topics which would be highly useful for the society considering the present environmental and industrial needs of the country.
- To make the students able to communicate their innovative ideas to be effective in collaboration with other civil engineering teams that will make them achieve leadership position to solve different challenges of civil engineering problems.
- To develop a sense of understanding of the multidisciplinary approach and an ability to relate engineering issues to the broader context of individual and society for sustainable development.
Degrees offeredThe Department currently offers the following degrees:
Some of the facilities provided to students to make them Industry-ready:
- Training on civil engineering softwares like AutoCAD, STAAD PRO., ERDAS IMAGINE, and various open source software.
- QEEE (Quality Enhancement in Engineering Education) classes on different important topics of Civil Engineering conducted by IITs.
- Training/Workshop on GIS and Remote Sensing with QGIS (Open Source) software.
- Colloquium and Symposiums with invited guests.
- Regular Talks and discussion with invited Industry experts.
- Comprehensive survey camps and Geology field trips.
- Various industrial visits.
- Visit to Meteorological Department, Guwahati Airport and Survey of India.
- Industrial Training (summer and winter) programs.
- Guidance for Live Industrial projects.
- Regular job related training and placements activities etc.
Infrastructure (List of labs)
- Concrete Technology Lab
- Geotechnical Engineering Lab
- Transportation Engineering Lab
- Fluid Mechanics Lab
- Engineering Survey Lab
- Engineering Geology Lab
- Engineering Drawing Lab
- Environmental Engineering Lab
- Engineering Mechanics Lab